Welcome to Project Management Questions!

You can ask any question on Project Management and you can rest assured that real Project Managers will answer your shortly!

What Is Effort Creep?

+1
vote
It seems that there are lots of creeps in project management. I asked a few days ago about hope creep and now I encountered the term "effort creep". What is it, and how does it impact the project? Is it related, in any way, to scope creep?
asked 3 years ago by anonymous

1 Answer

+1
vote
It is not really related to scope creep with the exception that they're both creeps and they both negatively affect the project.

Effort creep is when one of your team members makes a huge effort on a task that is nearly done, but cannot finish it. For example, a task is 80% done in one week, and the team member is working on the remaining 20% for several weeks, with no end in sight. This is very common in software projects, and the perfect remedy for effort creep is to assign the remainder of the task to someone else who has more experience in the particular area of the task.

Alternatively, the project manager can talk to the team member about the difficulties facing him while working on this task, although this is normally useless, as the reason is always related to the team member's inexperience and inadequacy for the task, and most team members are reluctant to admit it.
answered 3 years ago by humblepm (17,390 points)

Related questions

+1
vote
1
answer
asked 3 years ago by anonymous
+1
vote
1
answer
+1
vote
1
answer
asked 3 years ago by anonymous
0
votes
1
answer
0
votes
1
answer
asked 2 years ago by anonymous
© 2010 - 2012 Project Management Questions - All Rights Reserved